Absolutely PERFECT Chocolate Chip Scones
Updated: Oct 10
Scones are usually a staple food at most coffee shops, bakeries, and brunch places. Why not bring the chocolaty goodness of chocolate chip scones to your own home? Making your own scones may seem daunting at first, but in reality, it's actually quite easy. The hardest part is making sure your dough is pressed to the correct thickness before baking and making sure you don't over-bake the scones. With this simple yet delicious recipe, you'll be enjoying your homemade scones in no time. This recipe has been an amazing hit with all the gatherings I've brought these to, or guests we've had over for breakfast or brunch. And, if you read the comments on my Instagram page @graces_messy_kitchen, you'll see that my readers and followers love this recipe just as much as I do!! I sincerely hope you guys love this recipe and it turns out BETTER than you'd ever expect. And, as always, have fun and make memories (and of course a mess) as you make these!
Equipment: whisk, measuring cups, measuring spoons, large bowl, small bowl, baking sheet, parchment paper or cooking spray, knife or cheese grater, spatula.
For the Scone batter:
-1 large egg
-1/2 cup Greek yogurt (softened cream cheese or sour cream works too)
-1 stick butter, chilled and cut into 1/8 inch pieces or grated.(will explain later)
-1 pinch salt
-1 cup chocolate chips ( or 2 of your favorite chocolate bars, cut into 1/4 inch pieces.)
-2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tbsp milk
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
-1 to 3 tbsp water, depending on desired consistency
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2) In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda
3) Cut up or grate butter, add to bowl and coat with flour so that the butter chunks are loosely divided.
4) in a small bowl, whisk together the egg and Greek yogurt (or substitute), and milk until a completely smooth and cream colored mixture forms.
5) Make a well in the center of the butter-flour bowl and add in wet ingredients. Begin slowly incorporating dry mixture into wet mix.
Note: This part gets really sticky, but it is very important! Make sure butter is thoroughly incorporated.
6) Continue mixing ingredients together with a spatula, when it gets too tough to work with, begin using your hands. (PLEASE make sure to wash them first) Keep combining dough until only slightly lumpy.
7) add in chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
8) form dough into a 3/4-1 inch thickness square. Cut into individual triangles. Each triangle side should be about 3-4 inches long. (You can of course also make other shapes out of the dough, but the thickness should stay the same.)
9) Arrange the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray 3 inches apart. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until tops are slightly browned.
10) Make the glaze: Mix water, vanilla, and powdered sugar together and keep stirring until there are no lumps in the glaze. Drizzle over scones.
11) Once scones are cooled, they are ready to eat! Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed making these scones as much as I did, and that they taste as delicious as can be! The hardest thing about making this recipe was making sure the consistency of the dough was good. See, scones aren't as difficult as they first appear to be! If you did, in fact, enjoy this recipe, feel free to browse around for more. Also, please subscribe via email down at the bottom of the home page to get updated when more unique and delicious recipes are created!
Tags: #sconerecipe #scones #chocolatechipscones #bestsconerecipe #bestchocolatechipsconerecipe #easysconerecipe #chocolatechip #GracesMessyKitchen #teenblogger #uniqueanddeliciousrecipes #gracesmessykitchen #grace #gracegrogan #gg_baking17 #teenbaker #teenchef #howtomakescones #bestsconerecipe #delicious #deliciousscones #quickbreakfasttreats #brunch #breakfast #breakfasttreats #sconesforbreakfast #chocolate #chocolatebar #ooeygooey